Palifter’s competition log

If you are meal prepping are you weighing your rice uncooked for tracking the macros? I know most guys weigh their meat while cooked as 4oz raw is ~3oz cooked or about a 25% reduction in weight. Where as rice you gain about 3x the weight for white rice because of water. Do you use a simple ratio like that if you are weighing everything cooked?
Rice is cooked weight as are my meats. Cream of rice is dry weight. Either method will work, just as long as you’re consistent in your approach.

Solid stuff. Thread followed!
Welcome!

Let’s talk current training. For the past year or so, I’ve followed a typical bro split with good results. I put an emphasis on progressive overload and record most of my training. The progression could be in weight, in reps or the inclusion of certain intensifiers (drop sets, rest pause etc.). The split is as follows:

Sunday: legs
Monday: arms
Tuesday: shoulders
Wednesday: back
Thursday: chest
Friday: off
Saturday: off

I’d guess I do 5-7 exercises on each given day. 3-4 working sets per movement.

I should note I really enjoy training this way. I love the volume and pumps to follow. Is it the most optimal way to train? Maybe not (@Live_Evil sigh of relief lol). But it’s important to enjoy what you’re doing (this goes for training and meals too) and to be consistent in your approach. After this show, I’d like to explore other training splits with my coach - I’m thinking PPLA or similar. The only reason we didn’t change it up yet is because 6 weeks out I’m not exactly setting PR’s in the gym so best to leave it as is and limit variables.

Cardio is currently set at 30min a day 7x/week. I’ll alternate between walking on a high incline treadmill or using the stationary bike.

I check in with my coach tomorrow morning. I sense a hard push coming to keep chipping away at remaining body fat but I’m definitely tighter than I was even from my check in pics above. Will keep you all posted!
I'm 47 and will never be as jacked as you but I started this split a week ago. Seeing really good results vs the 3 day a week 5x5 strength training routine.Easy to follow and really gets the burn going. Thanks !

I'm 47 and will never be as jacked as you but I started this split a week ago. Seeing really good results vs the 3 day a week 5x5 strength training routine.Easy to follow and really gets the burn going. Thanks !
That makes me very happy to hear! I think a split like this is great after someone has built up a solid foundation from a 5x5 style routine.

This split has allowed me to really focus on finer details like capped delts along with really hammering rear delts to create that 3D look from the front and side.

Enjoying the log so far! Thanks for the contribution & good luck on the comp. what weight are planning to get to for it & would you mind saying what your weight is in the off-season?

Enjoying the log so far! Thanks for the contribution & good luck on the comp. what weight are planning to get to for it & would you mind saying what your weight is in the off-season?
Really hard to predict stage weight this time around but maybe 245-250lbs?

This past off-season I was just under 280lbs. My coach would like me to get around 290lbs this coming season. I plan to do so by being more aggressive with food + HGH and slin protocol.

Really hard to predict stage weight this time around but maybe 245-250lbs?

This past off-season I was just under 280lbs. My coach would like me to get around 290lbs this coming season. I plan to do so by being more aggressive with food + HGH and slin protocol.
Makes sense, is there a weight cap at the show? I know with IFBB they do the whole height matching weight thing for 6’2 dudes around 145 or something like that.

Thats a solid amount to cut though from 190

I feel like a lot of guys talk about getting distension w/ aggressive slin and hgh use but I feel like its not really so bad w/ classic physique guys just the open dudes. What’s your opinion on that since you’re gonna try it to get those last 10lbs on?

Makes sense, is there a weight cap at the show? I know with IFBB they do the whole height matching weight thing for 6’2 dudes around 145 or something like that.

Thats a solid amount to cut though from 190

I feel like a lot of guys talk about getting distension w/ aggressive slin and hgh use but I feel like its not really so bad w/ classic physique guys just the open dudes. What’s your opinion on that since you’re gonna try it to get those last 10lbs on?
There are weight classes in NPC open bodybuilding. I compete in the heaviest weight class which is super heavyweight, to compete in the class you need to weigh a minimum of 225 and 1/4lbs, no weight limit after that.

As for the distention you see on a lot of guys at a high level, I think it is primarily due to food volume/force feeding over time and genetics. I don’t think the culprit is HGH and slin usage, or more specifically, an increase in IGF-1 levels. I have a tiny waist for someone my size and I use both slin and GH. However I never force feed to the point of distention and I believe genetically (both parents have small waists) I’m not predisposed to a gut. Also, being taller helps me here as well. I’m also younger, who knows if I’ll have the same standpoint in 6 years when I’m 35. Time will tell. It would be cool if someone like @Type-IIx would weigh in here.

There are weight classes in NPC open bodybuilding. I compete in the heaviest weight class which is super heavyweight, to compete in the class you need to weigh a minimum of 225 and 1/4lbs, no weight limit after that.

As for the distention you see on a lot of guys at a high level, I think it is primarily due to food volume/force feeding over time and genetics. I don’t think the culprit is HGH and slin usage, or more specifically, an increase in IGF-1 levels. I have a tiny waist for someone my size and I use both slin and GH. However I never force feed to the point of distention and I believe genetically (both parents have small waists) I’m not predisposed to a gut. Also, being taller helps me here as well. I’m also younger, who knows if I’ll have the same standpoint in 6 years when I’m 35. Time will tell. It would be cool if someone like @Type-IIx would weigh in here.
Wouldn't it certainly be the super carb-loading the days before? I've heard of guys doing slin and literally 1000s+ carbs to super-compensate

Wouldn't it certainly be the super carb-loading the days before? I've heard of guys doing slin and literally 1000s+ carbs to super-compensate
Possibly, I’m sure that’s not helping. I also think it’s a neglected transverse abdominis. I personally practice daily vacuums to keep things tight and controlled, especially when on stage and gassed from going through mandatories.

I believe that it's primarily due to slin (suppression of fat oxidation) where abdominal & visceral fat is concerned. As for the phenomenon of gut distension writ large, it's multifactorial, and due to:

A) The direct effect of rhGH (reversible) of sodium and fluid retention in organs (e.g., the renal tubuli)

B) The direct effect of insulin (reversible) on fat oxidation suppression (i.e., gut distension is comprised of fluid and fat).
* It's important to note here that during prolonged subcutaneous rhGH administration (in a state of positive energy balance), the actions of IGF-I and insulin prevail 8-10 h post-injection

Secondary factors (non-reversible) in gut distension include:
C) LR3 IGF-I > * (in ruminants) for growth of gut viscera (non-reversible)
D) Acromegalic growth of all organs including gastro-intestinal (non-reversible)

I believe that it's primarily due to slin (suppression of fat oxidation) where abdominal & visceral fat is concerned. As for the phenomenon of gut distension writ large, it's multifactorial, and due to:

A) The direct effect of rhGH (reversible) of sodium and fluid retention in organs (e.g., the renal tubuli)

B) The direct effect of insulin (reversible) on fat oxidation suppression (i.e., gut distension is comprised of fluid and fat).
* It's important to note here that during prolonged subcutaneous rhGH administration (in a state of positive energy balance), the actions of IGF-I and insulin prevail 8-10 h post-injection

D) Acromegalic growth of all organs including gastro-intestinal (non-reversible)
Very interesting, I appreciate you chiming in as always.

So how do the guys like Phil Heath for example, tighten their waist, after having the turtle shell?

Starting tomorrow:

T3 to 50mcg
Cardio to 45min a day
Reducing carbs by 50g/day

I also get a sushi refeed tonight so im pretty ecstatic!

Checking in again Tuesday with my coach, should tighten up a little here with the small changes.

Starting tomorrow:

T3 to 50mcg
Cardio to 45min a day
Reducing carbs by 50g/day

I also get a sushi refeed tonight so im pretty ecstatic!

Checking in again Tuesday with my coach, should tighten up a little here with the small changes.
goddamn 50 grams a day lol

Good work as always!

Your picture were you said you were 220 pounds lean, can it be found somewhere? I just wanna see how it looks now, I remember it somewhat, but it's hard to picture it in my mind now that I've used to see bigger you. Also is it from pre hgh era?

Actually, I just want to see what quality 220 pounds at 6'2 look like :)

Good work as always!

Your picture were you said you were 220 pounds lean, can it be found somewhere? I just wanna see how it looks now, I remember it somewhat, but it's hard to picture it in my mind now that I've used to see bigger you. Also is it from pre hgh era?

Actually, I just want to see what quality 220 pounds at 6'2 look like :)
I assume you mean this one? This was my second show, I know I was just shy of the super heavy class (224 1/2lb cutoff), I think I was 223lbs weighed in. I was was 23 y/o here and it was before using any GH or slin. My legs have put on the most size since then due to being injury free for the most part - used to have all kinds of lower back issues.

4C61BBCB-492C-4060-8AAD-F6F10855A78F.jpeg