Perrin Aybara's Journey to an Elite Powerlifting Total

I did 'em in the power rack today. Some guy was curling in the half rack or whatever you call it that I usually do floor press in. Gym was dead anyway.

My gym was fucking packed today.. I hope it chills out soon but probably will just get worse.

Although... There was a fair amount of hot pussy walkin around so I'm not going to complain a whole lot. :)

My gym was fucking packed today.. I hope it chills out soon but probably will just get worse.

Although... There was a fair amount of hot pussy walkin around so I'm not going to complain a whole lot. :)

It'll get worse after New Year's most definitely. You'll see those people you haven't seen since last February.

Very few hot chicks at my gym. Mostly old and/or overweight.

Weighing 211lbs this morning

Short cardio warmup

Comp squats 380 for 5x5
Tried a buffalo bar for the first time and really loved it, these moved fast

Sumo box squat
Did these slightly above parallel to mimic the starting position of a deadlift, also used knee wraps
440x1, 480x1, 510x1, 530x1

Bulgarian split squats 170 for 4x7

Here's the 530 single. It wasn't as clean as the ones leading up to it as it was RPE 10, which is what the program calls for for block pulls and this is my replacement for them.

Here's the 530 single. It wasn't as clean as the ones leading up to it as it was RPE 10, which is what the program calls for for block pulls and this is my replacement for them.

Oh cmon big man that was no 10, you moved that like it was a 9 for sure. I've never though about it as a block pull variation interesting thought. Have you considered doing banded good mornings as a finished move to mimic more of a deadlift aspect?

Oh cmon big man that was no 10, you moved that like it was a 9 for sure. I've never though about it as a block pull variation interesting thought. Have you considered doing banded good mornings as a finished move to mimic more of a deadlift aspect?

See the routine has three deadlift slots per week. I've made the following changes.

Day one calls for comp deadlift and then double paused deadlift. I've subbed in good morning with bands and then weighted hyperextensions.

Day three calls for block pull singles and I've subbed that with the box squats for heavy singles.

Do you think that makes sense? I mean it's only for a few more weeks before I attempt to start doing deadlift again. I feel like I'll be hitting the key muscles in similar fashion as a deadlift with this setup. Low back, quads, hamstrings, core, lats on my accessory day.

Nice, made it look easy!

Heyyy they finally got that wall painted :D:D

Thanks and I hadn't even noticed, lol. My mind is elsewhere apparently.

See the routine has three deadlift slots per week. I've made the following changes.

Day one calls for comp deadlift and then double paused deadlift. I've subbed in good morning with bands and then weighted hyperextensions.

Day three calls for block pull singles and I've subbed that with the box squats for heavy singles.

Do you think that makes sense? I mean it's only for a few more weeks before I attempt to start doing deadlift again. I feel like I'll be hitting the key muscles in similar fashion as a deadlift with this setup. Low back, quads, hamstrings, core, lats on my accessory day.

Thanks and I hadn't even noticed, lol. My mind is elsewhere apparently.
Oh ya the logic is 100% there no disagreement with you I'm just thinking for more of a hip thrusting lockout position type of thing because you can't do the true hip thrust that lockout on a deadlift requires with a bar on your back or you'd fall backwards. Either hip thrusters, banded deadlifts or kettle bell swings would do it though, non of which I would sub entirely for the deadlift I just think adding them in addition after your high box squats would give additional help on the transfer back to deadlifting when you do

Oh ya the logic is 100% there no disagreement with you I'm just thinking for more of a hip thrusting lockout position type of thing because you can't do the true hip thrust that lockout on a deadlift requires with a bar on your back or you'd fall backwards. Either hip thrusters, banded deadlifts or kettle bell swings would do it though, non of which I would sub entirely for the deadlift I just think adding them in addition after your high box squats would give additional help on the transfer back to deadlifting when you do

I overlooked the hip thing. The hyperextensions on top of good mornings are a little redundant actually. How about swapping the hyperextensions with hip thrusts? That should balance things out better.

I overlooked the hip thing. The hyperextensions on top of good mornings are a little redundant actually. How about swapping the hyperextensions with hip thrusts? That should balance things out better.
Ya that would be a better balance. It's difficult to find a hip lockout substation so it's usually overlooked but I think it's important. Also pull throughs might be something to look at aswell

Ya that would be a better balance. It's difficult to find a hip lockout substation so it's usually overlooked but I think it's important. Also pull throughs might be something to look at aswell

Ahh.. good old pull throughs. I've gotten some pretty strange looks doing those before. Ha. Especially when I was in the middle of doing a few sets on a cable machine and this chick walked in the room while I was resting and she tried doing some like 100 rep tricep extension set on the other side of the cable setup. About half way through I decided to stop waiting for her to finish and started my next set She didn't like it as much as I was hoping she would... Ha.

Probably less potential cheating on the pull throughs?
Honestly done right I think kettle bell swings are the most superior alternative because they fire the entire kinetic chain but pull throughs and hip thrusters would be tide for second. Pull throughs are impossible to screw up, but hip thrusters you can use more weight so either or.

Honestly done right I think kettle bell swings are the most superior alternative because they fire the entire kinetic chain but pull throughs and hip thrusters would be tide for second. Pull throughs are impossible to screw up, but hip thrusters you can use more weight so either or.

You really think kettlebells are where it's at? They have them at my gym, I just have absolutely zero experience with them and I'm not sure with the time-frame I'm working with learning something new makes sense. I might just hit the thrusts first and burn out after with pull throughs.

You really think kettlebells are where it's at? They have them at my gym, I just have absolutely zero experience with them and I'm not sure with the time-frame I'm working with learning something new makes sense. I might just hit the thrusts first and burn out after with pull throughs.
Ya man even when you are good to pull again I'd still use them even. It's not hard to learn at all just YouTube kettle bell swings you can learn it in like 10 minutes. It has tons of carry over with the added effect of working new smaller muscles in the kinetic chain that deadlifting doesn't work so much. There are plenty of top level strongmen that incorporate kettle bell work as well as some European and Australian heavyweight powerlifters that I read about. My gyms kettle bells only go to 70lb so it's pretty simple and I do it as more of a warm up but if they had say 110lb kettle bells I would be making it into my program for sets and reps really working on firing the hip flexors from the bottom and locking it with the glutes

Ya man even when you are good to pull again I'd still use them even. It's not hard to learn at all just YouTube kettle bell swings you can learn it in like 10 minutes. It has tons of carry over with the added effect of working new smaller muscles in the kinetic chain that deadlifting doesn't work so much. There are plenty of top level strongmen that incorporate kettle bell work as well as some European and Australian heavyweight powerlifters that I read about. My gyms kettle bells only go to 70lb so it's pretty simple and I do it as more of a warm up but if they had say 110lb kettle bells I would be making it into my program for sets and reps really working on firing the hip flexors from the bottom and locking it with the glutes

I believe they go up to 70-80lbs at my gym. They also have a custom kettlebell you can load plates on that you can fit 7-8 25lb plates on it.

I believe they go up to 70-80lbs at my gym. They also have a custom kettlebell you can load plates on that you can fit 7-8 25lb plates on it.
Ya then I'd try it out even the 70-80 will make you feel it because it's something you've never done. Do 4 sets of 12 at the end of a workout and I'm sure you'll feel your hip flexors in a different way the next day