Possible to build muscle on 1000 calories / day? I think so.

i just think you guys underestimate how thick my stomach is / was. I’ve already shrunk it down noticeably in a month. Could I incorporate other things and got even leaner? Sure. But i’m making steady progress and look much less obese than a month ago, that’s all I know
View attachment 164683View attachment 164684
I see. Quite a difference. Keep it up. Bet you lost two or 3 belt notches.Your not far off with lots of cardio.

Ok so you know, I give OP a lot of shit, because he’s arrogant and stupid. But I do like that he at least rolls with it and vaguely takes advice. I mean look at the dumb shit he started out doing compared to now. Baby steps, but still, credit where it’s due and all that.

I'm jealous. I hope you got around to see some of the sights. Take a cab outside Rome to Tivoli and see Hadrian's Villa. Just trust me on this. Do it.

As for your diet, just stay hungry. Don't fill up. Choose your food wisely. Eat protein (lean meat) liberally. Eat everything else sparingly. Stay a little hungry all the time, even when you have just eaten.

Get in what exercise you can.

Enjoy your trip.

Report back on Hadrian's Villa.

Howard EE, Shankaran M, Evans WJ, et al. Effects of testosterone on mixed-muscle protein synthesis and proteome dynamics during energy deficit. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2022 May 9:dgac295. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgac295. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35532889. Effects of testosterone on mixed-muscle protein synthesis and proteome dynamics during energy deficit

Context: Effects of testosterone on integrated muscle protein metabolism and muscle mass during energy deficit are undetermined.

Objective: The objective was to determine the effects of testosterone on mixed-muscle protein synthesis (MPS), proteome-wide fractional synthesis rates (FSR), and skeletal muscle mass during energy deficit.

Design: This was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT02734238).

Setting: The study was conducted at Pennington Biomedical Research Center.

Participants: Fifty healthy men.

Intervention: The study consisted of 14 days of weight maintenance, followed by a 28-day 55% energy deficit with 200 mg testosterone enanthate (TEST, n=24) or placebo (PLA, n=26) weekly, and up to 42 days of ad libitum recovery feeding.

Main outcome measures: Mixed-MPS and proteome-wide FSR before (Pre), during (Mid) and after (Post) the energy deficit were determined using heavy water (days 1-42) and muscle biopsies. Muscle mass was determined using the D3-Creatine dilution method.

Results: Mixed-MPS was lower than Pre at Mid and Post (P<0.0005), with no difference between TEST and PLA. The proportion of individual proteins with numerically higher FSR in TEST than PLA was significant by two-tailed binomial test at Post (52/67; P<0.05), but not Mid (32/67; P>0.05). Muscle mass was unchanged during energy deficit, but was greater in TEST than PLA during recovery (P<0.05).

Conclusions: The high proportion of individual proteins with greater FSR in TEST than PLA at Post suggests exogenous testosterone exerted a delayed but broad stimulatory effect on synthesis rates across the muscle proteome during energy deficit, resulting in muscle mass accretion during subsequent recovery.

Attachments

Last edited:
Howard EE, Shankaran M, Evans WJ, et al. Effects of testosterone on mixed-muscle protein synthesis and proteome dynamics during energy deficit. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2022 May 9:dgac295. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgac295. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35532889. Effects of testosterone on mixed-muscle protein synthesis and proteome dynamics during energy deficit

Context: Effects of testosterone on integrated muscle protein metabolism and muscle mass during energy deficit are undetermined.

Objective: The objective was to determine the effects of testosterone on mixed-muscle protein synthesis (MPS), proteome-wide fractional synthesis rates (FSR), and skeletal muscle mass during energy deficit.

Design: This was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT02734238).

Intervention: The study consisted of 14 days of weight maintenance, followed by a 28-day 55% energy deficit with 200 mg testosterone enanthate (TEST, n=24) or placebo (PLA, n=26) weekly, and up to 42 days of ad libitum recovery feeding.

Main outcome measures: Mixed-MPS and proteome-wide FSR before (Pre), during (Mid) and after (Post) the energy deficit were determined using heavy water (days 1-42) and muscle biopsies. Muscle mass was determined using the D3-Creatine dilution method.

Results: Mixed-MPS was lower than Pre at Mid and Post (P<0.0005), with no difference between TEST and PLA. The proportion of individual proteins with numerically higher FSR in TEST than PLA was significant by two-tailed binomial test at Post (52/67; P<0.05), but not Mid (32/67; P>0.05). Muscle mass was unchanged during energy deficit, but was greater in TEST than PLA during recovery (P<0.05).

Conclusions: The high proportion of individual proteins with greater FSR in TEST than PLA at Post suggests exogenous testosterone exerted a delayed but broad stimulatory effect on synthesis rates across the muscle proteome during energy deficit, resulting in muscle mass accretion during subsequent recovery.

So for us ordinary folks how do you dumb this down and just tell us what this means with normal talk LOL

So for us ordinary folks how do you dumb this down and just tell us what this means with normal talk LOL
Test CAN help prevent muscle mass during a deficit but the effect was both delayed AND more acute during the post deficit recovery phase.

Not much I interpreted there about BUILDING muscle during the deficit itself as those P values were low enough to not indicate significant increases. MPS was lower in both the Testosterone users and the placebo group.

So taking test during a cut will probably reduce muscle wasteage AND (more importantly) give you a significant springboard effect (see my issue with this below) when you move out of deficit.

Issues with my conclusion from the study: The recovery placebo group wasn't given Test during recovery so how much different is the springboard effect vice simply taking Test at the start of recovery and NOT during the deficit? Dunno.

Test CAN help prevent muscle mass during a deficit but the effect was both delayed AND more acute during the post deficit recovery phase.

Not much I interpreted there about BUILDING muscle during the deficit itself as those P values were low enough to not indicate significant increases. MPS was lower in both the Testosterone users and the placebo group.

So taking test during a cut will probably reduce muscle wasteage AND (more importantly) give you a significant springboard effect (see my issue with this below) when you move out of deficit.

Issues with my conclusion from the study: The recovery placebo group wasn't given Test during recovery so how much different is the springboard effect vice simply taking Test at the start of recovery and NOT during the deficit? Dunno.
When you say a spring board effect do you mean muscle gain coming out of the deficit?

Welcome back. Your input has been missed.

Now, in order to cause this springboard effect you have to be on surplus or maintenance?

Also, the same effect happens on lower caloric deficits?
The study had them in deficit first and then in a free feeding surplus for 42 days after the deficit.

The study control group only differed in that they were given a placebo instead of test. The study did NOT compare whether the effect was greater or lesser than it would be coming from maintenance to a surplus nor whether starting test right at the end of a deficit would have a greater or lesser effect.

Back