Wanna look like a physique competitors? Why you'll probably have to take more than them

Let’s make this simple…

I’m going to share something kept secret only by the fact that new competitors and lifters alike refuse to believe it’s simplicity.

It is the biggest misconception in the world of PED use. Not just for OP, but those who use and don’t use alike.

Ready for this wisdom?

It is the secret of all physical progression.

Ranking In Efficacy & Importance
1) Genetics
2) Diet
3) Training
4) Sleep
5) Consistency
6) Injury Avoidance
7) PEDs

PEDs _only_ unlock more efficiency in the majority of those other factors. If those factors aren’t on point, PED use is almost less than pointless.

The magic pill fallacy will never die I’m afraid

Last edited:
I think that a lot of competitors today do start "early". Derek is almost exactly my age I think. To be a reigning open Olympia champ I'd assume you'd need at LEAST a decade of enhanced training, so under that assumptions he probably started in his very early 20s or earlier.

But I disagree with the premise of "if you didn't start taking 2 grams of gear at 16 you'll never look good" which is just asinine.
These kids are now blasting gear at 16, I know. In Eastern Europe they pushed the envelope in the ‘80s, that was 30 years after the advent of gear. They gave us Salim Nuleymangolou and Halil Mutlu (dwarves) who they doped early and young. We are going to start seeing this here soon, as well, I believe.

It’s still decidedly a Bad Thing because they will peak very early — yes, they will outshine the guys we adore today, but they will never achieve 8 Olympia wins or anywhere close — any of them.

Let’s make this simple…

I’m going to share something kept secret only by the fact that new competitors and lifters alike refuse to believe it’s simplicity.

It is the biggest misconception in the world of PED use. Not just for OP, but those who use and don’t use alike.

Ready for this wisdom?

It is the secret of all physical progression.

Ranking In Efficacy & Importance
1) Genetics
2) Diet
3) Training
4) Sleep
5) Consistency
6) Injury Avoidance
7) PEDs

PEDs _only_ unlock more efficiency in the majority of those other factors. If those factors aren’t on point, PED use is almost less than pointless.

The magic pill fallacy will never die I’m afraid
Consistency
Genetics
Training
Injury Avoidance
PEDs
Diet…

Sleep

Soooooo… Given your knowledge…

I’ll defer to you. Just don’t get in to a debate with me on ballistics sir! *wink*
As cool as I think that shit is, I wish I understood it. I’m on Telegram in those UkraineWar channels and shit though. Kinda interesting!

There is a point to what they are saying, though. Unlike a lot of others, I peaked as a natty, so I really, truly know where my limit was.

For those who doubt it, you see my diet posts. I was on my bodybuilding diet and lifting natty prior to starting my first cycle.

I was peaked. I could not add weight. I not only could not add strength, but I had lost strength over the last year or two. I was getting older, and those young man hormones were no longer in place. That was a frustrating time in my life.

When I did my first cycle, my diet and training did not change all that much, because they were already very good. But my results? It was a magic pill. Of course, I had all of those other factors already lined up, other than the one I could not help, genetics.

And as I proceeded to get bigger and bigger, everything I did was way beyond what I could have done without the steroids. Period. So it was "all steroids" in a sense, even though those other things were in place.

And I did look like a physique competitor, and I was one, and it would not have been possible without gear.

There is a point to what they are saying, though. Unlike a lot of others, I peaked as a natty, so I really, truly know where my limit was.

For those who doubt it, you see my diet posts. I was on my bodybuilding diet and lifting natty prior to starting my first cycle.

I was peaked. I could not add weight. I not only could not add strength, but I had lost strength over the last year or two. I was getting older, and those young man hormones were no longer in place. That was a frustrating time in my life.

When I did my first cycle, my diet and training did not change all that much, because they were already very good. But my results? It was a magic pill. Of course, I had all of those other factors already lined up, other than the one I could not help, genetics.

And as I proceeded to get bigger and bigger, everything I did was way beyond what I could have done without the steroids. Period. So it was "all steroids" in a sense, even though those other things were in place.

And I did look like a physique competitor, and I was one, and it would not have been possible without gear.
Good example but a rare one. You did it the "right" way and were already WaY up there age wise before you ever played the Trump card.

Anyway, kudos. Methodical.

But way too old to make a go of it . . .

That really needs to be done down in one's 20s and maybe into the early 30s
Sometimes people forget that most if not all of the successful bodybuilders start their gear journey when they were young. Why? Because they also developed rapidly and have displayed potential even if they are just teenagers.

Some of the accomplished guys have won contests as teenagers beating older guys with more mature muscles, this endeavor really displays the magnitude of distance between genetics among humans.

everyone putting diet at #2, what do you mean by diet?
I think its genetics,gear,diet,training

because i havent ran into that many people that dont eat enough protein or what not, are we comparing a bodybuilding diet to like being at a deficit eating vending machine food?

anyway you cant really compare the importance of these things, like if we say training is less important are we implying that people are just only going to the gym once per week? or not lifting heavy?

because i havent ran into that many people that dont eat enough protein or what not, are we comparing a bodybuilding diet to like being at a deficit eating vending machine food?

anyway you cant really compare the importance of these things, like if we say training is less important are we implying that people are just only going to the gym once per week? or not lifting heavy?

Because diets typically suck.

Your typical steroid user has an awful diet and looks like crap. Gyms are full of steroid using, puffy, fat dudes with red faces.

That is not genetics, and it is not gear, it is diet.

Diet is crucial to physical appearance.

Steroids just give you more size than you could put on naturally.

Most guys using steroids have at least enough drive to go and lift weights consistently, but diet? Most do not have the discipline to do what it takes with nutrition.

Because diets typically suck.

Your typical steroid user has an awful diet and looks like crap. Gyms are full of steroid using, puffy, fat dudes with red faces.

That is not genetics, and it is not gear, it is diet.

Diet is crucial to physical appearance.

Steroids just give you more size than you could put on naturally.

Most guys using steroids have at least enough drive to go and lift weights consistently, but diet? Most do not have the discipline to do what it takes with nutrition.
I read this while enjoying my McDonald's pre-workout meal. I agree completely.

Just to offer another very real example...

Here's someone who will never look like a serious (or even unserious lol) physique competitor. I'll argue even though I'm getting older now, I believe I've done everything that I think can be done (1) training and (2) diet wise. After maxing out those two items along with (3) consistency for years, I introduced very modest amounts of (4) AAS for last 6 years.

Putting age aside, I'd argue it doesn't matter whether I up the dose to 500 mg/week consistently or 5000 mg/week, the structure/genes will never be there. Doesn't stop me from continuing to improve as best as I can (within reason given my constraints on health markers), but I've come to terms with genes setting the bar when it comes to really getting somewhere in competitive BB. A pretty successful NPC nationals competitor (actually beat Jay Cutler at the Nationals) took a quick look at me in the 90s and concluded as much..."kid, stick to basketball".

Thanks for the nice discussion.

PS: seeing this dude and Toney Freeman up close really helped cement the message quickly.

View: https://youtu.be/C3gaw5h9Jvo?si=2NKNlY9dL8EE1jFD

Last edited:
These kids are now blasting gear at 16, I know. In Eastern Europe they pushed the envelope in the ‘80s, that was 30 years after the advent of gear. They gave us Salim Nuleymangolou and Halil Mutlu (dwarves) who they doped early and young. We are going to start seeing this here soon, as well, I believe.

It’s still decidedly a Bad Thing because they will peak very early — yes, they will outshine the guys we adore today, but they will never achieve 8 Olympia wins or anywhere close — any of them.
This is why I Dident use gear in my football days. We had at least 4 kids juicing out of Mabe 50 -60 players? by my sr. Year. A friend of mine Seth rip fell over at the dinner table with his family, massive heart attack. I’m sure he was genetically disposed but that test decca dol I’m sure as hell speeded things up, along with the dirty bulks we were thought to do. what kid is having proper scans and blood work done?

By dieting I mean eating less calories overall. I know myself and lots of people get soft easily when eating freely even on Test, so I have to eat quite a bit less and put quality over quantity. As for protein I believe it's overrated too, yes you need like 1g per pound optimally, but especially on Test you ain't gonna lose lbm that easily.

Back