• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

How many days per week do you train in the growing season?

Evom1

Just curious on what the guys here do. I was listening to Joe Rogan and Dorian Yates and it reminded me how Dorian was a big advocate of short, high intensity workout, and only 4 days per week. Basically go in and fuck shit up for 45mins 4x a week and that's it.

He was saying when he increased the volume, or did more days, he would be stagnant and not grow. So that gets me thinking, someone with some of the best genetics ever, didn't feel he recovered quickly from long workouts or say 6 days a week, why would those of us with lesser genetics be more capable? Has anyone experimented with the less is more approach?

Not less is more as far as days.

Bet for a while I made sure my weight lighting was no more than 25 minutes, and then 20 minutes of cardio. I would Rest for 30 seconds between sets and started cutting down the rest periods slowly. Got to about 15 seconds. I was natural then too.

Dorian Yates is kind of an advocate of some weird shit though. He says that the decline Bench works your entire Pec better than any other Press. I can't say that Rings true for me

On Tren it's 6-7 days a week. Training any less than that really lets the aggression build up.
Natural I'll train 5 days a week.

On cycle always at least 6 days a week. I train pretty instinctively and have learned if my body needs a day of rest. I believe that's one of the best ways to go about it.

Off cycle I force 2 rest days on myself as much as I hate not going to the gym.

On cycle always at least 6 days a week. I train pretty instinctively and have learned if my body needs a day of rest. I believe that's one of the best ways to go about it.

Off cycle I force 2 rest days on myself as much as I hate not going to the gym.
I've been following one of John Meadows programs which is 6x per week. I feel like the way he varies everything and gives a suggested RPE on every exercise is great for optimal recovery

I've been following one of John Meadows programs which is 6x per week. I feel like the way he varies everything and gives a suggested RPE on every exercise is great for optimal recovery
Yeah as long as you allow enough time for everything to recover you can't cause any destruction. I just feel like I'm not doing enough or just wasting time taking 2+ days of rest on cycle especially since I get enough sleep and plenty of calories. It's been working so far so haven't had the need to try anything different.

Just curious on what the guys here do. I was listening to Joe Rogan and Dorian Yates and it reminded me how Dorian was a big advocate of short, high intensity workout, and only 4 days per week. Basically go in and fuck shit up for 45mins 4x a week and that's it.

He was saying when he increased the volume, or did more days, he would be stagnant and not grow. So that gets me thinking, someone with some of the best genetics ever, didn't feel he recovered quickly from long workouts or say 6 days a week, why would those of us with lesser genetics be more capable? Has anyone experimented with the less is more approach?
I like it.. Short rests and get it done in 40-45 min.
Im not talking shop in between sets anyway. Ever get stuck talkinng w the gear head on his own bandwagon.. Blah blah blah.?
Miss my weights at home, next home will have basement again.

It depends how old you are, at what level you lift and what you lift as well. If you've just started, you can lift however you want and grow like no tomorrow.

Get up the age ladder and lift intermediate/advanced and you have to reel back the number of days. Last factor, apart from juice and food, obviously, is what you lift - complex compound exercises such as deadlift less times per week than abs as an example.

It depends how old you are, at what level you lift and what you lift as well. If you've just started, you can lift however you want and grow like no tomorrow.

Get up the age ladder and lift intermediate/advanced and you have to reel back the number of days. Last factor, apart from juice and food, obviously, is what you lift - complex compound exercises such as deadlift less times per week than abs as an example.
Good read DonQ. Thank you. Age is definitely a factor in recovery. A balancing act.

Which Meadows program are you currently training with? I'm 5 weeks into the Arnold program and I have mixed feeling about it.

I train 3 days a week now. Best decision I've made. DC 2 way spilt for over a year now with most of it being off gear and have made some fantastic progress in terms of thickness and strength

Not less is more as far as days.

Bet for a while I made sure my weight lighting was no more than 25 minutes, and then 20 minutes of cardio. I would Rest for 30 seconds between sets and started cutting down the rest periods slowly. Got to about 15 seconds. I was natural then too.

Dorian Yates is kind of an advocate of some weird shit though. He says that the decline Bench works your entire Pec better than any other Press. I can't say that Rings true for me

An emg study showed that decline dumbbell press followed by incline dumbbell were the best for activating the must muscle fibres

Monday Tuesday on
Wednesday off
Thursday Friday Saturday on
Sunday off
I do this year round and adjust total sets and workload

I wasn't training 3 on 1 off and switched up my split and doing 5 on, 2 off with doing cardio on my off days.

Have been at 4 days forever. Have now gone down to 3 due to work, rest and scheduling issues. So far I'm enjoying it. I hit all big lifts hard and heavy. I think the added rest will do me more good than an added training day.

Dorian and a host of other guys learned that from Mike Mentzer. I followed it closely in my early training years. Alot of the end product we remember Dorian for was in part due to Mentzers coaching. He was able to help put size on an already impressive package. Look man dont get caught up too much in all this. We ALL have different experiences and we ALL havent always used the same techniques and approaches since day 1. Its a learning experience. I have found all or nearly all training approaches work till they stop working. Some better than others but all have some effect.

Im currently OFF and have been OFF for 7 weeks and im utilizing an EOD training protocol. Occasionally i miss 2 days in a row but strive to not let that happen. Scheduling permitting. This approach has been great for maintaining post cycle gains and last but not least my strength hasnt gone anywhere using this approach. Im just as strong now as i was when i was ON.