Primo: risk-reward profile... is it 'conspicuous consumption' or does it really only 'shine' with long-term use?

Type-IIx

Conspicuous consumption is the public consumption or usage of costly goods, services, or leisure activities out of the conscious or unconscious motive to display or enhance one’s own social status, to indicate one’s ability to pay for it and hence displaying one’s own wealth despite the possibility to consume cheaper alternatives which yield the same functionality. So in principle conspicuous consumption is unnecessary (and often wasteful) consumption from a rational point of view which does not satisfy basic economic needs.
(Conspicuous Consumption (Marketing and Economics))
@PeterBond wrote a thorough analysis of Primo, emphasizing the prevalence of 3α-HSD in muscle tissue, its effect on muscle protein synthesis and net protein balance in muscle tissue (where it matters) versus the Hershberger Assay's results. The HA's weaknesses in teasing out the local (muscle) metabolism of Primo versus the results showing an efficacious anabolic:androgenic profile in rats doesn't tell the full picture (Methenolone (Primobolan) and its 3α-reduction)

Here is a graph from a 1965 study [1] which analyzed various AAS under strictly controlled conditions-- specifically Primo, Deca, Dbol, Anadur (nandrolone hexylphenylpropionate, a 21-day half life form of nandrolone), and Androxan (oral similar to androstanozole). It is a very strong study design that studied the human effects of the compared AAS under strictly controlled conditions. That is, patients were tube-fed, immobilized, and the researchers could tease out the anabolic effects of the AAS studied with dietary manipulation (protein and caloric intake were manipulated) precision:

Primo-vs-Deca-Nitrogen-retention-1.png
In one patient (Case 1) a 100mg bolus of Primo was administered resulting in an uncomplicated 16 day positive nitrogen balance with a total nitrogen retention of 30.8g [1] on a caloric surplus (55%>BMR) and protein intake of 1.65 g/kg b.w. See Figure 1(N) [above].

This basically matched the nitrogen retention of a woman on an equivalent caloric and protein diet (45%>BMR), 1.5 g/kg b.w (30.6 g, 18 day positive nitrogen balance) [1].

The following Table shows that Primo at 100mg increased lean tissue by about 1/2 the amount as 50mg (!) of Deca:
Primo-vs-Deca-and-orals-lean-mass-Table.png

Some studies suggest (now this is very dependent upon factors besides the compound) that Primo may not be the best AAS for muscular strength or speed, if athleticism is important to the user.

Czela et al. studied Primo's effects on cardiac remodeling [2]. In this study, the findings demonstrated that Primo profoundly accelerates the transition from fast (Type II) to slow (Type I) isoform myofiber types in the case of stimulation for cardiomyoplasty. This may be partly compound-specific, but is certainly also muscle-, species-, and stimulation- specific (latissmus dorsi - a fast twitch-predominant muscle typically, sheep). It is, however, certainly evidence against Primo being an appropriate choice for strength sport; however, not a definitive finding.

Risk-Reward (Cost/Benefit) Profile of Primo (Personal View)
+
anecdotes of only mild negative impacts on LDL, HDL or even perfect blood work
+ anecdotes of particular aesthetic/mental benefits (roundness, dry, psychological QoL metrics) likely impossible to measure, no, before/after pics are not evidence!
+/- anecdotes of serum E2 reduction
versus:
- evidence (published) of comparatively low anabolic effects in human skeletal muscle (arguably only 25% as anabolic in skeletal muscle as deca!)
- evidence (published) of preferential slow rather than fast-muscle fiber transformation
- high, viscous oil volume
- financial cost/expense

I REALLY want to give Primo a real fair shake, but I feel like only bloodwork can lend much support to the anecdotes. This is just my impression after a bit of research and finding this cool study by Saarne et al.
[1] Saarne, A., Bjerstaf, L., & Ekman, B. (1965). Studies on the Nitrogen Balance in the Human during Long-term Treatment with Different Anabolic Agents under Strictly Standardized Conditions. Acta Medica Scandinavica, 177(2), 199–211. doi:10.1111/j.0954-6820.1965.tb01822.x
[2] Czesla, M., Mehlhorn, G., Fritzsche, D., & Asmussen, G. (1997). Cardiomyoplasty — Improvement of Muscle Fibre Type Transformation by an Anabolic Steroid (Metenolone). Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, 29(11), 2989–2996. doi:10.1006/jmcc.1997.0543

Last edited:
Nice analysis. Its good to see some researchers trying to delve deeper into mechanisms, in humans, instead of just users pointing at Q-Ratios and old assays and saying "look how anabolic it is".

I have long felt there was something missing about the primobolan story. Experiences of its benefits always seemed vague, usage was in combination with other things, and it was just hard to get a straight answer about what exactly it does.

Seems like all that extra money is better put towards other things instead of just loading up on as many compounds as we can.

Buy it raw and legit, homebrew it and run in bigger quantity than nandrolone
This is fair and valid, too. That's the thing about Primo to me, there's something about it that people just love, that the few studies that exist haven't properly measured.

The more I think about primo the more I think the science misses the big picture on it. It's definitely a relatively weak anabolic, but it's rather unique as a commercially available, non-aromatizable injectable. It has passed the rigors of commercial approval and withstood the test of time. A comparison between 75mg of nandrolone versus 300mg of primobolan is not an equivalent comparison.

The scientific data on primo is thin, at least in the English language. I would love to see some good studies on it, something like the Bhasin studies with test enanthate to tease out dose-effect from low through supra- dosages, study a bunch of dependent variables including questionnaires on mood and QoL metrics, and see. It'll never happen though!

Last edited:
Primos shortcoming is that it does not aromatjse and actually seems to work against estrogen. I'm assuming this is why Arnold stacked it with dianabol which is a high arkmatiser. The combination should be awesome. The go round my Primo levels should be peaking in but a week I'll add 50mgs dbol or possibly dbol/drol and drop the anavar and see how I like the synergy. Right now tho I'm somewhat disappointed in Primo. I see what it's doing, the magic isn't there for me yet. *yet*

Name another steroid you can run at high doses and have absolutely no idea that you’re using them because the side effects are nonexistent. That’s the appeal of primo. 600mg feels approximately the same as 0mg in terms of sides. It was quite literally designed to have the most favorable side effect profile that could be achieved while still being efficacious.

If you want tren-like results then primo will disappoint you. But you also won’t go two months without sleep, sweat like a stuck pig all day, and give yourself dementia. The risk/reward is thus: the reward is the lack of risk.

Name another steroid you can run at high doses and have absolutely no idea that you’re using them because the side effects are nonexistent. That’s the appeal of primo. 600mg feels approximately the same as 0mg in terms of sides. It was quite literally designed to have the most favorable side effect profile that could be achieved while still being efficacious.

If you want tren-like results then primo will disappoint you. But you also won’t go two months without sleep, sweat like a stuck pig all day, and give yourself dementia. The risk/reward is thus: the reward is the lack of risk.
That’s the draw of primo, essentially: it’s not the strongest AAS in the world, but its side effect profile is extremely favourable and it tends to have very little impact on health markers. There’s definitely a certain amount of unearned mystique surrounding the compound, but it does what it’s intended to do very well.

Deca shits all over primo as far as actual anabolic activity, absolutely, but deca also comes with a harsher side effect profile and there’s some evidence that it’s disproportionately harmful to your brain chemistry and vascular system.

As @Type-IIx said, I’d love to see more studies done on primo to evaluate what it does, exactly. There’s some indication that it can act as a mild AI, for example. It would be nice to see that sort of anecdotal evidence fleshed out in a clinical setting with proper control conditions in place.

I already posted it somewhere

Interesting enough to be posted agaynz
This paper lacks a Statistics section outright, so you cannot draw any good conclusions about prevalence. It doesn't measure LDL, HDL, HCT, E2, or anything we'd regard as scientific measures of cardiovascular or cerebrovascular risk, not to mind HPG axis function. Its proxy for HCT is "flush skin tone." Heh. BUT, I like it, and think it does give some scientific weight to extremely high dosages being reasonably well tolerated. Add that to the evidence in the pros column IMO.

I already posted it somewhere

Interesting enough to be posted agaynz
Few things:
1200 mg of Primobolan per week is the highest steroid dosage that was found to be generally well tolerated in a clinical setting.
The study makes no mention of how well either the Primobolan or testosterone was tolerated by the breast cancer patients. Moreover, 44 % reported acne, 52 % reported hirsutism (more about this further down), 40 % reported flushing, and 76 % reported hoarseness in the Primobolan group. Mind you; if you're a postmenopausal woman with advanced breast cancer, a lot of stuff is considered to be 'tolerable' for the means of treating it.

The fact that almost half of the women administered 1200 mg of Primobolan per week in this study generally tolerated it, while none of the women in the Testosterone administered group could tolerate even 300 mg of Testosterone per week just goes to show how efficacious Primo actually is.
Nowhere in the paper do they mention something about tolerability. The women who weren't continued on the 300 mg of testosterone per week weren't discontinued because they couldn't tolerate it, they were discontinued because it didn't lead to regression of their cancer. Moreover, perhaps 1200 mg of testosterone would. Who knows? Not that it matters, because I don't expect any of his readers to read this for treatment of their advanced breast cancer.

What's even more interesting about it is the study was conducted on women.
Yes, since most people who use Primobolan are of the opposite sex. Although I think he differs in his view from mine on exactly why that's interesting.

If an anabolic androgenic steroid is generally well tolerated in women at such a high dosage, it's probably fair to say that it has a favorable safety profile.
Again, the study mentions nothing about how the women tolerated it, and if you have advanced breast cancer A LOT is considered to be tolerable for the means of treating it. Actually, nothing safety-wise was measured other than the progression of the breast cancer and some self-reported side effects. Moreover, nothing with regard to its anabolism was measured.

Out of the participants, 48% experienced an increase in their well-being.
Perhaps because 48 % of the patients treated with Primobolan saw regression of their cancer? That sure as hell would raise my well-being.

Only 52% reported Hirustism, which is a pretty typical side effect in women who are producing more androgens than normal.
The onset of hirsutism is slow. In most trials in which women receive AAS, it takes about 4 to 6 months to become apparent. Given that only 16 of 27 patients (59%) patients received Primobolan for longer than 4 months, this implies that nearly every single woman receiving Primobolan long enough for hirsutism to become apparent, reported it as a side effect.

Anyhow, this study mostly seems utterly irrelevant to say anything about Primobolan. It didn't measure anything a bodybuilder should be interested in.

This paper lacks a Statistics section outright, so you cannot draw any good conclusions about prevalence. It doesn't measure LDL, HDL, HCT, E2, or anything we'd regard as scientific measures of cardiovascular or cerebrovascular risk, not to mind HPG axis function. Its proxy for HCT is "flush skin tone." Heh. BUT, I like it, and think it does give some scientific weight to extremely high dosages being reasonably well tolerated. Add that to the evidence in the pros column IMO.
There's little statistics to do if your only endpoint is the regression of cancer, and about half saw regression in one group, and no one saw regression in the other. (Back in the day, they would've needed to do the calculations manually too. If they had a statistical program I'm sure they probably would've still added it regardless.)

Good analysis from the good doctor. I think guys should view MPMD purely as entertainment, much the same as anyone without an M.D. next to their name. I've criticized Derek before and know people don't like to hear it. I admit to wanting to give Primo the benefit of the doubt, so take that into consideration also. It's factually impossible for Primo to be side-effect free at 500mg or whatever, as even a single anecdote to the contrary would disprove that confident claim, and I've seen quite a few anecdotes of people saying they feel angry/hostile/cranky from it at low doses. People love it, but it's still an AAS. I'm sure that the side-effects scale somewhat with the anabolic effects with all these drugs. If anyone did come up with an effective product that had no side-effects, these forums wouldn't even exist as there'd be nothing to discuss because everyone would use that one product and live happily-ever-after.

Derek is a guy who makes conclusions based on the population sample size of 1...
Do you happen to know what his background is? I don't follow him, but from time to time I get sent articles written by him and each time I'm just shaking my head. I recently got sent an article written about cardarine by him, and it's just riddled with misinterpretations and signs of not having any background in the field at all.

We have plenty of women posting experiences with primo in the female section. I will note that 76% of the women in that study noted "hoarseness," which we all know means that almost all the women in that study got a deeper voice, thanks to steroids.

I'd curious what you thought about his EQ and estrone article, then. It has explained for many of us the lack of needing an AI when running EQ, but I would be interested to find out it is garbage or misinterpretation.