Rich Piana in coma possible overdose?

Attached is a copy of Richard Piana's autopsy report. We did not run toxicology.
https://cdn.muckrock.com/foia_files/2017/11/08/AppXtender_-_MEDICAL_EXAMINER_CASES_-_5171418.pdf

Respectfully,
Debra L. Lewis
Records Custodian
District Six Medical Examiner's Office
"With the prolonged hospital survival time (18 days), the significant heart disease revealed at autopsy, the lack of hospital admission specimens for toxicologic testing (hospital discarded admission specimens despite specific requests for retention), and the report history of drug use, the cause and manner of death cannot be determined with certainty."
I thought there was no toxicology report because they didn't have enough paper sheets to print all the drugs found?

I don't think for a second toxicology was not done. It's closed out of respect would be my guess.

From a medical perspective the autopsy results are consistent with "cardiopulmonary arrest" as the proximate cause of death.

However any suggestion by the ME, a hospital threw away the only samples suitable for tox screening, when they have a RP's BODY is absolutely ludicrous !

JIM

So his heart was double the size of a normal persons. The massive amounts of GH probably contributed to that. To me it seems if his girl would of been performing CPR he might if pulled through this deal. But 15-20 minutes no pulse or oxygen he never had a chance.

From a medical perspective the autopsy results are consistent with "cardiopulmonary arrest" as the proximate cause of death.

However any suggestion by the ME, a hospital threw away the only samples suitable for tox screening, when they have a RP's BODY is absolutely ludicrous !

JIM

According to the report AT AUTOPSY.
“Urine was present within a uriine drainage bag”

And I’ll add blood was still present in his veins :)

In fairness cases such as these can be a no win situation for an ME who’s primary objective is to determine whether foul play was a direct or perhaps an indirect cause of death, bc tox assays become less reliable with the passage of TIME.

And running blood or urine tox screening on those whom have required intensive medical DRUG therapy for extended periods can be VERY misleading at best.

So in fairness to the ME reporting
NOTHING is a better option.

Jim

To me it seems if his girl would of been performing CPR he might if pulled through this deal.

Bc CPR is limited to restoring blood flow at 5-10% of baseline,
it’s best considered a temporizing measure until EMS arrives.

And what can EMS do exclusive of CPR?

- convert a life threatening cardiac rhythm such as V-Tach or V-Fib into one that maintains
adequate blood flow

- ensure a patients airway
is “secure” or is not the source of the problem.

Jim

Last edited:
Of course CPR can help but it’s not the “life saving” panacea many make it out to be, especially if the “down time” exceds 15-20 min and RPs case is a classic example of THE PROBLEM.

Bc athough cardiac fct can often be restored in young folk in spite of an extended down time, the BRAIN is
very intolerant of anoxic injury- the end result being someone with
“stable vitals” whom is neither awake or aware and exhibits all the vegitative features of brain death.

Last edited:
Self proclaimed and or youtube videos documenting his weight.

mands

And although a 50 lb weight loss is certainly within reason in someone who was hospitalized for 18 days receiving NO
oral nutrition, exclusive of a PEG tube, and is battling a medical ailment I’d still like to KNOW RPs admit weight to validate such comparisons.

His toxicology report would have been a combo of
Italian body-builder tests positive for 21 different steroids

and this
giphy.gif

Otto once submitted a urine sample as part of an application for a job as a prison guard, which contained "crack, smack, uppers, downers, outers, inners, horse tranquilizers, cow paralyzers, blue bombers, green goofers, yellow submarines" and "LSD Mach 3". He only managed to pass because he swapped his sample with Homer's.
Otto Mann

In the absence of a toxicology report, based upon the information provided by the ONE person who was there and recorded a video shortly thereafter to clear her name (RP's "girlfriend") and the autopsy report alone ----- (rest assured she was also hammered by LE to ensure folk play was not the cause of RP's death)

RP was rendered unconscious while sitting in a chair ----- and bc the AUTOPSY ruled out other anatomic causations of an ABRUPT LOSS OF CONSCIOUSNESS, the sentinel event was most likely the result of an ARRHYTHMIA ------ which is a COMMON complication of those with "cardiomyopathy" ----- the latter was CONFIRMED at autopsy

For whatever reason it seems RP's "downtime" (the time wo a BP capable of sustaining vital organ function, brain in particular) was prolonged ----- this resulted in the cerebral edema, which was first suspected clinically, reaffirmed on a brain flow study and confirmed pathologically at AUTOPSY,

Most of the other abnormalities reported at autopsy are reasonably typical of those whom have borderline BP for extended periods and is referred to as MODS or Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome.

JIM

Last edited: