• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Daily Log to 2019 Show Season

I was thinking on to trying that at some point, good thing you are doing it first so I’ll have some feedback on it.

Hope it works well.
No idea when it’ll happen.

Still think I’m guna compete where I’m at and reassess after that. My wife asked I not prep towards the holiday this year so Miami is out; thinking NAs at the end of August.

Chest/Tris/Delts
1. Lying HammerStrength Press - As many sets as necessary to reach a 6-8 rep set, then repeat with the same weight. Back down set at 75%.

2. PecDec - 4x12-15

3. Incline Barbell Press - 3 sets of 225 to failure

4. Single Arm Cable Pulldowns - 4x10-15

5. VBar (wide elbows) - 3x12

6. Lateral Raise Machine - 5x8-15

Attachments

• 0C06AF16-6F68-4531-8DD6-166312586E32.jpeg
    0C06AF16-6F68-4531-8DD6-166312586E32.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 144
Got my 220 today boys. Given my starting point on the scale and bf% I think 20lbs gained so far is a solid bet.

@Wunderpus your tren/oral cycling concept is a winner dude. Sincerely appreciate that chat.

Back:
Activation - “Joe Rows” from the Hypertrophy Coach - 3 sets of 12

1. Machine Pullovers - 4x8-15

2. Barbell Yates Rows - as many sets as needed to reach one set of 6ish reps to failure

3. Pulldowns (medium-wide) - 4x10-15

4. Mid-grip MAG Grip Seated Cable Rows - 3x12

5. Single Arm Side-Facing pulldowns (sit sideways and lean towards the stack on a pull down tower and pull down and out) 3x12 each side

6. Hammer curls 2x12

7. DB Curls - 2x12

Attachments

• 67EA14A5-A871-4D6C-9CFD-CB537D77A6DE.jpeg
    67EA14A5-A871-4D6C-9CFD-CB537D77A6DE.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 136
  • C3D2F640-2385-4844-A9C9-DE9CE0F82FAF.jpeg
    C3D2F640-2385-4844-A9C9-DE9CE0F82FAF.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 133
  • 52F4D367-EBFA-4864-8C77-A9BA357A2C44.png
    52F4D367-EBFA-4864-8C77-A9BA357A2C44.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 133
Got my 220 today boys. Given my starting point on the scale and bf% I think 20lbs gained so far is a solid bet.

@Wunderpus your tren/oral cycling concept is a winner dude. Sincerely appreciate that chat.

Back:
Activation - “Joe Rows” from the Hypertrophy Coach - 3 sets of 12

1. Machine Pullovers - 4x8-15

2. Barbell Yates Rows - as many sets as needed to reach one set of 6ish reps to failure

3. Pulldowns (medium-wide) - 4x10-15

4. Mid-grip MAG Grip Seated Cable Rows - 3x12

5. Single Arm Side-Facing pulldowns (sit sideways and lean towards the stack on a pull down tower and pull down and out) 3x12 each side

6. Hammer curls 2x12

7. DB Curls - 2x12
Congrats man, glad to see you got to achieve your goal.

220 again today at the gym so not a fluke.

Quad Dominant Legs (very short workout today, do not need explosive leg growth so I’m dialing things back so everything else keeps growing, my legs will grow much faster than everything if I let them)
Warmup: Extensions/curls/adductor/abductor

1. Barbell Squats - as many sets as needed to a heavy ass set (6 sets before 495x3 for me) then back down to 70% for AMRAP

2. Standing Single Leg Curls - 4x12–15

3. Single Leg Extension - 5x10–15ea

Haha thanks man. Glad others are getting something out of this.

If you ever want a reminder of how weak you are as a human go fuck with a motivated animal....

How is your hand doing?
Great thread but this post really got me....I was walking my dog about 6 months ago and 3 dogs burst out of a front door. Quite a weird lineup of 3 dogs...a dachshund, something that looked like a lab mix, and a full grown American bulldog. They run up and surround my dog, a 50 pound pup that wants to be friends with everything. The normal smelling routine goes on, trying to play it cool and then the dachshund starts to nip at my dog and the other two start to try biting him. I've got to say I kicked the bulldog squarely twice in the shoulder/neck area and it backed him off a bit but definitely didn't harm him too much. All said, my dog only had 1 bite mark so I think it turned out almost as well as possible.

This is a great thread and hope my rambling isn't distracting at all. My blood still boils thinking about the dog attack. I normally carry when I'm out but hadn't when me and my dog would go for a walk, as half the time we would do some running too. I now carry a small expandable baton for anything that may come up.

How is your hand doing?
Great thread but this post really got me....I was walking my dog about 6 months ago and 3 dogs burst out of a front door. Quite a weird lineup of 3 dogs...a dachshund, something that looked like a lab mix, and a full grown American bulldog. They run up and surround my dog, a 50 pound pup that wants to be friends with everything. The normal smelling routine goes on, trying to play it cool and then the dachshund starts to nip at my dog and the other two start to try biting him. I've got to say I kicked the bulldog squarely twice in the shoulder/neck area and it backed him off a bit but definitely didn't harm him too much. All said, my dog only had 1 bite mark so I think it turned out almost as well as possible.

This is a great thread and hope my rambling isn't distracting at all. My blood still boils thinking about the dog attack. I normally carry when I'm out but hadn't when me and my dog would go for a walk, as half the time we would do some running too. I now carry a small expandable baton for anything that may come up.
It healed well. GH is probably responsible for how well it did. I still have some scar tissue over the deeper puncture on my knuckle and the outside of my left thumb is still lacking some feeling in it. Like pushing on your foot when it’s fallen asleep.

Glad you’ve enjoyed the thread and stay safe. I carry as well, but TBH I think I’d have an easier time shooting an aggressive human than a dog. Hope I never come to either situation.

Edit: Sidenote - fuck little dogs

Plugging away from another week or two then shutting it down. Added legs back in and they came back quick.

Chest/Delts/Triceps
1. Flat Barbell Bench - as many sets as needed to reach a heavy 10 rep set to failure right into a double drop set

2. Cable Flyes - 3x8-15

3. DB Press Flyes (bottom half is a press, top half is fly) - 2x15

4. Incline Press (Flite Machine) - 3x12

5. Incline Bench Supported Lateral Raises 4x12–15

6. HS Shoulder Press - 30s rest between sets up to the heaviest 12 rep set possible

7. Rope Pulldowns - 3x15

8. Single Arm Overhead DB Extensions - 3x8

Attachments

• 677B6DB7-A022-41F2-9F66-8751B4303B91.jpeg
    677B6DB7-A022-41F2-9F66-8751B4303B91.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 125
Plugging away from another week or two then shutting it down. Added legs back in and they came back quick.

Chest/Delts/Triceps
1. Flat Barbell Bench - as many sets as needed to reach a heavy 10 rep set to failure right into a double drop set

2. Cable Flyes - 3x8-15

3. DB Press Flyes (bottom half is a press, top half is fly) - 2x15

4. Incline Press (Flite Machine) - 3x12

5. Incline Bench Supported Lateral Raises 4x12–15

6. HS Shoulder Press - 30s rest between sets up to the heaviest 12 rep set possible

7. Rope Pulldowns - 3x15

8. Single Arm Overhead DB Extensions - 3x8
Are you training to failure on the last set of each lift? Or, just getting close to failure?

Are you training to failure on the last set of each lift? Or, just getting close to failure?
Any time I say “heaviest possible” I’m hitting failure (no spotter, so that’s why a lot of the time it’s followed by a drop set or some sort of extension technique).

The sets to get there are NOT to failure.

On non-progressive overload/more metabolic specific sets (12-15 rep stuff later in the workout usually) the last one or two sets is near failure but not quite.

For this training schedule, since they’re each getting hit 2x per week I am trying to:

Chest: 1 Press set and 1 flye set to true failure (or extended set technique)

Back: one row and one pulldown to absolute failure

Shoulders: either a press or a raise to absolute failure

Legs: one movement per day to absolute failure (quad dominant days it’s normally squats or single leg press, ham dominant days it’s either deads or single Leg standing curls, still trying to limit growth here so other stuff stays, my legs would overtake my physique again if I let them)

Arms: one set for bis, two sets for tris to absolute failure. The auxiliary arm work with chest and back isn’t to failure as they’ve contributed to hard presses or rows already and I have a dedicated arm day later in the week.

The rest of my sets are near but not quite failure, higher rep, still a grind but not death.

When my training switches to say a 5 or 6 day split there will be more failure sets per day since the frequency and weekly volume goes down.

Any time I say “heaviest possible” I’m hitting failure (no spotter, so that’s why a lot of the time it’s followed by a drop set or some sort of extension technique).

The sets to get there are NOT to failure.

On non-progressive overload/more metabolic specific sets (12-15 rep stuff later in the workout usually) the last one or two sets is near failure but not quite.

For this training schedule, since they’re each getting hit 2x per week I am trying to:

Chest: 1 Press set and 1 flye set to true failure (or extended set technique)

Back: one row and one pulldown to absolute failure

Shoulders: either a press or a raise to absolute failure

Legs: one movement per day to absolute failure (quad dominant days it’s normally squats or single leg press, ham dominant days it’s either deads or single Leg standing curls, still trying to limit growth here so other stuff stays, my legs would overtake my physique again if I let them)

Arms: one set for bis, two sets for tris to absolute failure. The auxiliary arm work with chest and back isn’t to failure as they’ve contributed to hard presses or rows already and I have a dedicated arm day later in the week.

The rest of my sets are near but not quite failure, higher rep, still a grind but not death.

When my training switches to say a 5 or 6 day split there will be more failure sets per day since the frequency and weekly volume goes down.
Yes, that's pretty similar to what I do. Looks like a good setup.

It's kinda like blood and guts with one working set to failure
My use of “failure” is definitely not on par with Dorian’s though. Which is why I don’t think most people could use Dorian’s approach and succeed. He’s an animal and most people aren’t capable. Nevermind just having a competent, motivated training partner.

My use of “failure” is definitely not on par with Dorian’s though. Which is why I don’t think most people could use Dorian’s approach and succeed. He’s an animal and most people aren’t capable. Nevermind just having a competent, motivated training partner.
It is a style I've been using with success as of late. Not to say I'm at Dorians level lol but i go balls to the wall for that top set and have good guys to spot me at my gym who will follow my instruction on how i want to be spotted if that makes any sense. Cuz I've had some jack asses spot me at times that completely ruin my set for me. I watch the videos, read his insights and try to replicate it to the best of my ability. So far so good.

It is a style I've been using with success as of late. Not to say I'm at Dorians level lol but i go balls to the wall for that top set and have good guys to spot me at my gym who will follow my instruction on how i want to be spotted if that makes any sense. Cuz I've had some jack asses spot me at times that completely ruin my set for me. I watch the videos, read his insights and try to replicate it to the best of my ability. So far so good.
A good training partner or spotter is key. Gotta have faith they’re not guna let you die lol.