Has anyone actually harmed their heart / kidneys from steroids in spite of having good BP and blood work?

Wow, that shows a way higher number than my eGFR on a blood test (92 v. 72). I guess they just plug in a number for bodyweight? It is not a question that they ask when scheduling blood tests. The only difference is body weight. I do not have a Cystatin C number. If I lower the bodyweight, then it lowers the eGFR number. It looks like the test assumes I am 120 some odd pounds?

Or am I misusing this calculator?

Last edited:
Wow, that shows a way higher number than my eGFR on a blood test (92 v. 72). I guess they just plug in a number for bodyweight? It is not a question that they ask when scheduling blood tests. The only difference is body weight. I do not have a Cystatin C number. If I lower the bodyweight, then it lowers the eGFR number. It looks like the test assumes I am 120 some odd pounds?

The eGFR is expressed as mL/min per 1,73 m2 body surface (i.e. mL/min/1,73m2) by default. If you plug in your height and weight it doesn't need to express it anymore per 1,73 m2 body surface but can simply give the eGFR for you (= for your estimated/calculated body surface) and thus the unit will be mL/min. If the calculated body surface is below 1,73 m2 the number will be lower and if it's higher it will be higher.

Labs don't know your body surface or body weight and height, thus they always express in ml/min/1,73m2.

You can’t get a full torso MRI and have intricate details of the heart…you would be on fire if they tested and looked at every single organ in the torso to get the detailed images they need.

It’s shocking at how little ppl know about the heart.
Now you need a cardiac mri that in itself takes over an hour to complete.
Then it has to be assessed and a report written .
Could you imagine the whole group of the bodies complex systems to note in a whole body MRI?
It would happen .
Now I have taken gh and had an MRI before and then after cessation .(roughly 3 months)
My heart grew significantly just from 2iu of pharma a day. So my cardiologist opted against continued growth hormone therapy and that was fine with me.
I am a cardiac patient , have had open heart surgery also and know a great deal about heart failure and the heart in general.
My heart was definitely left worse off after stopping gh therapy.
Again this could be my genetics and also could have to do with an interaction with some of my cardiac medication there are alot of factors to think about.
Thanks for sharing this.

Not surprised at what I bolded here because it is consistent with the evidence. The amount of people here who think any amount of HGH is bad for the heart have no idea how to use pubmed or even google for that matter.

Btw, what was worse about your heart once you stopped?

Last edited:
The eGFR is expressed as mL/min per 1,73 m2 body surface (i.e. mL/min/1,73m2) by default. If you plug in your height and weight it doesn't need to express it anymore per 1,73 m2 body surface but can simply give the eGFR for you (= for your estimated/calculated body surface) and thus the unit will be mL/min. If the calculated body surface is below 1,73 m2 the number will be lower and if it's higher it will be higher.

Labs don't know your body surface or body weight and height, thus they always express in ml/min/1,73m2.

Thanks.

So, hypothetically, there are 270 pound bodybuilders running around thinking that their eGFR of 59 is kidney failure, when simply plugging their massive size into the formula would result in a high number showing kidneys are working just fine?

Thanks for sharing this.

Not surprised at what I bolded here because it is consistent with the evidence. The amount of people here who think any amount of HGH is bad for the heart have no idea how to use pubmed or even google for that matter.

Btw, what was worse about your heart once you stopped?
It was larger by a measurable amount wether that made my heart more efficient or less efficient only time will tell

How long ago was that?

Did you check your heart again?

A lot of cardiomyopathy is reversible.
Traditionally cardiomyopathy is not reversible the main types include dilated, hypertrophic and restrictive cardiomyopathy
If there is a cause of the cardiomyopathy and that cause is found and treated then it can be reversed.
My heart has remained enlarged
Like I said in this thread whether it is good or bad remains to be seen.
It’s not simply big is bad and small is better it’s all about ejection fraction.

Hmmm . . . I was under the impression that it was not normally a permanent condition, that is, if you changed what you are doing that caused it. For example, a steroid abusing, obese powerlifter or strongman who stops abusing steroids and takes up bicycle racing as his new competitive sport - any maladaptive changes to his heart ought to improve? Or so I thought. I am certainly not an expert on the subject.

It is disappointing to think it may be permanent.

Last edited:

So, hypothetically, there are 270 pound bodybuilders running around thinking that their eGFR of 59 is kidney failure

yes. this topic has been covered at least a billion times by now on various roid discussion boards

high number showing kidneys are working just fine?

nephrologist will tell you to fuck off unless you have protein in urine and actual proof of kidney damage

Hmmm . . . I was under the impression that it was not normally a permanent condition, that is, if you changed what you are doing that caused it. For example, a steroid abusing, obese powerlifter or strongman who stops abusing steroids and takes up bicycle racing as his new competitive sport - any maladaptive changes to his heart ought to improve? Or so I thought. I am certainly not an expert on the subject.

It is disappointing to think it may be permanent.
My LVH regressed to normal.