Daily Log to 2019 Show Season

I am 6' i really envy people less tall...

Trying to reach 250lbs and it's becoming a real job.

My appetite sucks, and i don't want to push garbage food.

Atm i am more concerned about training.... i have downloaded Joe Bennet's app and following his PPL plan, works good but it's very straight forward.

@Mac11wildcat instead added a sort of forced progressive volume/intensity which seems really interesting!
I can tell you me at 234 this offseason Is every bit as hard as a 6’ at 270+

Someone asked specifically about training so here’s a brief description of what I’ve done and what the plan is going forward:

I have been using a PPL, based progressive overload, train to failure in a recoverable weekly volume approach for several years. What this ends up looking like is 2 failure sets per exercise with 4-7 exercises per day depending on the muscle group, recovery, food intake, supps, etc. I drive progress on the same movements week after week until there’s a pause at which I swap movements and start again. Intensity techniques were rare because I reach true failure most of the time and kept moving nicely.

Now, I am going to combine that with a volume approach. Over the course of my split completed twice I will have one day of each training group (legs, push, pull, arms, or however I break it up) be the absolute highest intensity possible. Think 2 working sets per movement max, likely just one, with an intensity modifier on each. 4 week rest pause, drop sets, cluster sets, forced reps (when I have a training partner), partials and or 1-1/2 reps, etc. rest will be several minutes to recover breathing and strength for the next set.

The second split will be a volume approach. I’ll use a working weight that allows me to complete a set with reps in the tank short of failure and do 3-4 sets with shorter rest.

The two types of days maybe mixed in with each other or in their own linear splits.

I got VERY strong over the last 2 years, logic says it can’t continue and I’m already strapping plates to pin loaded machines. Time to mix it up and vary the stimulus heavily.

Did you ever post your diet and/or macros? Carb protein sugar fats intake ?
They change continuously but protein was locked around 320, fats as high as 120 and as low as 80. Carbs started near 1000g and ended up at their lowest for a couple days at 150ish.

About 88,000 cals worth of deficit from start to finish.

Someone asked specifically about training so here’s a brief description of what I’ve done and what the plan is going forward:

I have been using a PPL, based progressive overload, train to failure in a recoverable weekly volume approach for several years. What this ends up looking like is 2 failure sets per exercise with 4-7 exercises per day depending on the muscle group, recovery, food intake, supps, etc. I drive progress on the same movements week after week until there’s a pause at which I swap movements and start again. Intensity techniques were rare because I reach true failure most of the time and kept moving nicely.

Now, I am going to combine that with a volume approach. Over the course of my split completed twice I will have one day of each training group (legs, push, pull, arms, or however I break it up) be the absolute highest intensity possible. Think 2 working sets per movement max, likely just one, with an intensity modifier on each. 4 week rest pause, drop sets, cluster sets, forced reps (when I have a training partner), partials and or 1-1/2 reps, etc. rest will be several minutes to recover breathing and strength for the next set.

The second split will be a volume approach. I’ll use a working weight that allows me to complete a set with reps in the tank short of failure and do 3-4 sets with shorter rest.

The two types of days maybe mixed in with each other or in their own linear splits.

I got VERY strong over the last 2 years, logic says it can’t continue and I’m already strapping plates to pin loaded machines. Time to mix it up and vary the stimulus heavily.
I saw a cool meadows video yesterday with Dave Tate talking about changing up tempo to aid in failure on sets. It was pretty cool. I'd never thought about that before. definitely something I plan on incorporating on the future

I saw a cool meadows video yesterday with Dave Tate talking about changing up tempo to aid in failure on sets. It was pretty cool. I'd never thought about that before. definitely something I plan on incorporating on the future
Tempo work IMO isn’t a huge factor for the most part. All reps should be controlled but tempo IIRC isn’t meaningfully contributing to hypertrophy. Anything that purposefully removes tension (using less weight for tempos) is a mistake IMO. But there are studies showing everything under the sun works or doesn’t. Train how you enjoy training.

Tempo work IMO isn’t a huge factor for the most part. All reps should be controlled but tempo IIRC isn’t meaningfully contributing to hypertrophy. Anything that purposefully removes tension (using less weight for tempos) is a mistake IMO. But there are studies showing everything under the sun works or doesn’t. Train how you enjoy training.
He wasn't talking about removing weight on purpose for tempo, more like if your shooting for and rpe of 7 and in the first couple reps realize the weight is to light, to slow down your reps to get the rpe @7 rather than doing another set with the heavier weight.

I think that becoming strong is an investment to grow more later on.... You drop the weights do more volume and grow with that new added strength..... Maybe i am wrong ..

How do you recommend training for better hypertrophy? Intensive - heavy weights and strength work, or for example time under load (static exercises) and not large weights or maybe fullbody training

I think that becoming strong is an investment to grow more later on.... You drop the weights do more volume and grow with that new added strength..... Maybe i am wrong ..
Those. got stronger - lost weights created more training volume - more as a result of hypertrophy right?

How do you recommend training for better hypertrophy? Intensive - heavy weights and strength work, or for example time under load (static exercises) and not large weights or maybe fullbody training
I grew my best focusing on getting really strong in a 6-12 rep range on the basics. Week in week out. Now I plan to use that strength to extend volume (short of failure) in half of my workouts and continue focused progressive overload with intensity techniques in the other half. I have it almost completely planned. Will post when I do.

Last edited:
Back