Daily Log to 2019 Show Season

Men’s physique sucks lol. Can’t comment on that though. Some of the pros are huge, like way too big for the division IMO, but never legs.

Arms/Legs/Push/Pull. Whether or not there’s a rest day in the middle or just at the end is by feel.
So crazy I have been doing PPL last 3-4weeks after a lifetime doing Yates split and I LOVE IT.

PPL rocks!

I've been taking a rest day after each training day.

Yeah both these guys had no legs. Great upper bodies. One trained way way too hard way way too heavy and just overdoes everything. The other lifts like he's warming up from what I saw

Ironically the second guy is the most impressive. This guy has feathering in his rear delts. Flex wheeler muscle bellies. Its crazy how different peoples genetics are.

But I wonder if they traded places and the second guy trained hard and vice versa what would happen?

So crazy I have been doing PPL last 3-4weeks after a lifetime doing Yates split and I LOVE IT.

PPL rocks!

I've been taking a rest day after each training day.

Yeah both these guys had no legs. Great upper bodies. One trained way way too hard way way too heavy and just overdoes everything. The other lifts like he's warming up from what I saw

Ironically the laziest is the most impressive. This guy has feathering in his rear delts. Flex wheeler muscle bellies. Its crazy how different peoples genetics are.

But I wonder if they traded places and they lazy guy trained hard and vice versa what would happen?
From what I see, the genetically gifted grow regardless. I would like to get back to volume (IE way less failure work and total weight) for longevity of my genetics would support it, but I have a hard time dialing back. Short of failure on working sets feels like not trying now.

From what I see, the genetically gifted grow regardless. I would like to get back to volume (IE way less failure work and total weight) for longevity of my genetics would support it, but I have a hard time dialing back. Short of failure on working sets feels like not trying now.
I had to fry my CNS to learn to cut back. I feel you on that. Big time. Chad was talking about why Ronnie went downhill so fast in the early 2000s and he said he tried many times to get Ronnie to cut back but Ronnie answr was he felt he was doing something wrong if he did less than he knew he was capable of in the gym. Dorian same thing said he would just stay home if he knew he couldn't give 100%

I had to fry my CNS to learn to cut back. I feel you on that. Big time. Chad was talking about why Ronnie went downhill so fast in the early 2000s and he said he tried many times to get Ronnie to cut back but Ronnie answr was he felt he was doing something wrong if he did less than he knew he was capable of in the gym. Dorian same thing said he would just stay home if he knew he couldn't give 100%
I just watched the ronnie Coleman documentary the other day. It was sweet but kinda sad

Whats been your most effective leg routine for overall size Mac? Sets reps. Hams included!
What I did to build and what I do now are drastically different. Legs have always been a genetically strong body part for me. But I think in general legs need an absolute thrashing to grow optimally because of how much tissue is coordinating for leg movements. My workouts used to be pretty high volume, used techniques like cluster sets, drop sets, and super sets, and had a large helping of compound and isolation.

these days, my workouts are simple because if I train that way now my legs will outpace my upper again and I spent a long time fixing that imbalance. My last leg session was (only working sets listed, failure if individual sets shown, pump if “3x10” or similar notation):

1. Standing single leg curl - 1x10-12, 1x12+ At ~30% less weight
2. Squats - warmup to a single set of 10 (near failure)
3. Seated Leg Curl - 1x8-10, 1x12+ at 30% less weight
4. Adductor machine - 3x15
5. SLDL - 2x10-12 (just short of failure)
6. Extensions - 10 reps per leg Alt 3 times

I’m also just getting back to leg work after fixing knee pain. They’ll get more intense, but slow and steady.

Last edited:
What I did to build and what I do now are drastically different. Legs have always been a genetically strong body part for me. But I think in general legs need an absolute thrashing to grow optimally because of how much tissue is coordinating for leg movements. My workouts used to be pretty high volume, used techniques like cluster sets, drop sets, and super sets, and had a large helping of compound and isolation.

these days, my workouts are simple because if I train that way now my legs will outpace my upper again and I spent a long time fixing that imbalance. My last leg session was (only working sets listed, failure if individual sets shown, pump if “3x10” or similar notation):

1. Standing single leg curl - 1x10-12, 1x12+ At ~30% less weight
2. Squats - warmup to a single set of 10 (near failure)
3. Seated Leg Curl - 1x8-10, 1x12+ at 30% less weight
4. Adductor machine - 3x15
5. SLDL - 2x10-12 (just short of failure)
6. Extensions - 10 reps per leg Alt 3 times

I’m also just getting back to leg work after fixing knee pain. They’ll get more intense, but slow and steady.
Cool. I kind of wanted to know what you did to build....

Just food for thought, about a month ago I decided to start leg work with Hams and then calves then quads. I want to set myself apart such that no one can touch me from the back.....and I basically want to go home after quads and over time hams/calves suffered.

I may stick with this forever! Its just amazing at least for me. Though I'm sure I'm not reinventing the wheel here but we get set in our ways. Sometimes mixing things up spurs growth at least for a little while.

My meager .02$

Calves I handle separately on 2 days of my 4 day split.

a leg day back then would’ve looked like:
1. Ext SS lying Curls - 3x10-12
2. Squat - work up to a 10RM weight and then do a strip set by plates
3. Seated curl - 3x8-10
4. Leg Press - work up to 10-12RM and do cluster sets of 6 reps to failure
5. SLDL - 3x8-10
6. Extensions - 3x10-12
7. Lunge until you can’t (weighted progressively less for 3 sets)

Calves I handle separately on 2 days of my 4 day split.

a leg day back then would’ve looked like:
1. Ext SS lying Curls - 3x10-12
2. Squat - work up to a 10RM weight and then do a strip set by plates
3. Seated curl - 3x8-10
4. Leg Press - work up to 10-12RM and do cluster sets of 6 reps to failure
5. SLDL - 3x8-10
6. Extensions - 3x10-12
7. Lunge until you can’t (weighted progressively less for 3 sets)
I built my legs with strip sets on leg press but on SQUATS???

Thats as hard-core as it gets.

Thanks once again.

You rock.

Mac do you train abs? Off-season or prep?

I stopped years and years ago when I read something either from Vince Gironda or Larry Scott that said working abs causes you to not build muscle due to shock to your solar plexus or something. I haven't hit abs in probably 15 years at least.

Mac do you train abs? Off-season or prep?

I stopped years and years ago when I read something either from Vince Gironda or Larry Scott that said working abs causes you to not build muscle due to shock to your solar plexus or something. I haven't hit abs in probably 15 years at least.
I just started training them offseason because I need a bit of development to get deeper separation in front poses. Used to just do during prep.

Back